Tuesday, September 25, 2012

*Insert Clever Title Here*

I have often described myself as a "loner".  I don't mean that in a derogatory way, though.  And it certainly doesn't mean I am Alone, although there was a time when I was. 

Pretty much the whole six years I was with Bad Steve I was Alone.  I never knew when he would breeze into town or how long he would stay.  I wouldn't hear from him on a regular basis (usually just when he needed money).  And when he was with me he wasn't really "with" me, if you know what I mean.  I just had an overactive imagination that convinced me that I was in a relationship and somebody really loved me.  I was wrong.

Ironically, now that I am not in a relationship, I have lots of people who truly *do* love me and I am not Alone.  Happy Ending.  Also,  nothing to do what I started to write about, so back to your regularly scheduled programming.

ANYROAD, I don't think being a loner is a bad thing, although people tend to equate loner and serial killer.  I can assure you, unless you count roaches and spiders, I have never serially killed anything.  To me, being a loner just means you are comfortable enough with your uniqueness that you don't want to compromise it by being bored/awkward/uncomfortable with a bunch of people who label themselves, just so you will fit in.  *That* was a helluva sentence, I'm pretty sure any English teacher would tell me to change it, but I think it gets my point across, and I'm not in school anymore.  So there. 

I never did the sorority thing, I didn't join any extra-curricular clubs in high school, Girl Scouts made me feel like I had no right to call myself a Girl and I was pretty sure I was (I checked regularly). 

This is also one of the 4,298,637 reasons why religion never appealed to me.  Too many of their concepts (in any of the 439 religions I have tried, I'm an Equal Oppportunity PooPooer) didn't make any sense to me and I didn't feel like wasting precious time on a Sunday morning with a group of people who believed things I didn't, when I could waste precious time on a Sunday morning sleeping (which I Wholeheartedly Believe In).

So label me a loner if you like, that's okey dokey with me.  And I bet if I started a group who believed in sleeping in on Sunday mornings, it would be bigger than Catholicism.  Who's with me??

No comments:

Post a Comment