Thursday, October 3, 2013

Yet Another Continuation of Today's Posts

Okay, I'm just going to ignore the blatant, idiotic racism of my co-worker's statement this morning.  It's not worth dignifying with my typage.
 
But I would like to address the issue of her being scared someone is going to hide behind the foot-wide metal posts and leap out and mug her.  At 4:45 in the afternoon.  I have another co-worker who walks all the way down to Boutwell at 4:30 and moves her car to the parking lot in my building, because after 4:30, you can park here for free.  She does this because (she says) when she leaves work at 6:00, there are evil, menacing crackheads lurking in Linn Park, ready to pounce on her.
 
Yes, I have seen homeless people in Linn Park (black and white).  Sometimes they say hello to me.  I say hello back.  Sometimes they ask me for a cigarette.  I give them one.  
 
When I go to hang  out with friends, I go wherever I'm going by myself and leave wherever I've been by myself. Most of these locations are downtown or Southside.  The leaving part often happens at a late hour. At least later than 4:45 or 6:00 p.m. Sometimes, I have friends who walk me, but a lot of the time, I hoof it solo.  And I'm not quaking in my boots, or looking around nervously, I'm just walkingthefucktomycar. 
 
So, newsflash, lady who feels inconvenienced by the memorials of the Civil Rights Movement.  Your racism ends up scaring the shit out of yourself, nobody else.  You think that every black person on the street is "out to get you" because of your antique, racist attitude, not because it's true.  I am proud of Birmingham for honoring Fred Shuttlesworth with these markers by Linn Park.  I am proud of our city for acknowledging our shameful past and celebrating how far we have advanced.
 
Although, obviously, as Little White Scaredy Pants has shown us, we have a long way to go.
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: