Friday, October 21, 2011

Occupy Debbieland

Bad Steve used to tell me I was naïve (Duh, I dated him for six years!).  He was right, of course. And although it was a bad thing in terms of being with him, overall I'm okay with being naïve.  Along with being overly empathic, uber-emotional, and loving people unconditionally, it's who I am and I'm kinda proud of it.  That's just how I roll.

Which is why I don't get blanket hatred.  I understand hating people individually.  Even with being a Professional Softie, I still have a few people on my Shit List.  Not a fan of Hitler, Bin Laden or Vlad the Impaler.  There are a couple of people in my past who make the list.  And for some irrational reason, Ed McMahon; I don't want to talk about it.  But hating a group of people because they're a particular group of people is so damn mean.  Why waste your energy?  What purpose could it serve?  Does it make you feel better to hate another ethnic/religious/political/sexually oriented group?  Does it make your penis larger?  Cause then I could understand it.  But I'm pretty sure there's no scientific proof of that, though the research could be fun.  But I digress lasciviously.

Here's an out-of-the-box concept: People Are People.  They may look different, believe different things, have a different smell than you, but they are still people.  And until each individual on the planet earns their assholedity, why hate 'em?  There for the Grace of Chaos go you.

 Now, my guess is that most of you reading this (Hi you 3!) already knew this. And I doubt that if, for some reason, you're reading this and you disagree with me, I will change your mind, anymore than you will ever convince me that Alabama college football is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  So don't waste your red/white/orange/blue breath.   My point is, I am naïve enough to agree with Rodney King: Why can't we all just get along?  Life Sucks.  Even if you have a "charmed" (hah!) life, there will be times that life gives you a good, swift kick in the solar plexus and it takes you a while to get your breath back.  There are some of us who seem to receive those kicks on a far-too regular basis and you would think we would get used to them, but we don't.  The latest one hurts just as much as the first one did.  I reiterate, Life Sucks.   So why make it harder by adding unreasonable hatred to your psyche?  It won't make the kicks any gentler and you're really just asking for extra kicks, so WTF?????????

Yes, Life Sucks.  But I still believe it doesn't have to.  You can make an effort to care about people, even if they don't dance to the same music you do.  People respond to being loved-everyone wants to be.  Try it.  It can't hurt.  It makes you feel warm and fuzzy, which is nice.  But hating never does that.  And it never helps.  And sometimes it ends up shutting down a restaurant that served delicious, cheap tacos.  And who wants that?

So let's  invite everyone to come live in Debbieland.  Where everyone loves everyone else and there are unicorns and rainbows and fat-free hot fudge sundaes and free beer and lots of sex, drugs, and rock and roll, with no negative consequences.  Everyone is welcome! 

Except Ed McMahon.

No comments:

Post a Comment