Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Penny for My Thoughts

So my new job allows me plenty of time to think.

Thinking has always been problematical with me.  I tend to overthink things I should just let go and avoid thinking about things I need to think about.  (Like how I could have improved that last sentence; I guess I could have. . . .nevermind, I don't want to think about it.)

But with all this free TT  (ThinkTime), I'm now rethinking how I think I should think.  I began by thinking up some rules:

1.  Don't think about the future.  It never goes the way I want it to, and then I just get depressed.    I mean, when I was younger, I figured that by the time I was this age (your guess here), my career as a Nuclearthermal Hydrodynamic Engineer would be peaking and and my two husbands and 5 kids and I would be relaxing in our Italian Villa, while Barry Manilow serenaded us on the balcony.  But who cold have predicted Barry Manilow's career would tank so early?   So it just didn't happen that way.  Rather than thinking about what I want to happen in the future, if I just go with the flow instead,  I still get fucked over, but I'm not expecting *not* to, so I'm not disappointed.  Okay, that sounds depresessing, so let me edit that (without actually editing it, cause I don't want to think about editing).  If I just go with the flow, I take each minute as it happens and I don't have time to think about the future.  That's better.  It doesn't make much sense, but it's not as depressing.  And there's a whiff of Deepak Chopra in there somewhere.  Too bad about that whole Barry Manilow thing, though. 

2.  Think creatively.  As this blog entry shows, I have a lot of work to do on that one.

3.  Think happy thoughts.  Hahahahahaha!!!! What do I look like, a fucking Rogers & Hammerstein libretto?   Go ahead and cry for me, Argentina, I'll join you.

4.  Think up as much funny shit as humanly possible.  I'm trying!!

This is only my third day on the New Job, so I (hopefully) have a lot of time to work out the kinks of this thinking thing.  If you have any thoughts, dear reader, please let me know.  I think I could use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment